Quartz and Corian are two popular choices for countertop materials. They are both durable, easy to clean, and attractive. So, what sets these two materials apart and how can you decide which material is right for you? Allow us to help by discussing the differences between the two.
Unlike granite and marble, quartz is an engineered stone. Instead of being one slab, quartz is a mixture of 90-94 percent quartz crystals bonded with epoxy resin. Pigments are also often added to give quartz color or to mimic another type of stone.
Quartz is more heat resistant and scratch resistant than Corian. If you place a hot pot on quartz for a few seconds, it is not likely to leave a mark. Quartz is also a harder material than Corian, so it stands up to scratches better.
Quartz is also nonporous and therefore stain and bacteria resistant. Which is one of the reasons that it is such a popular choice for the kitchen.
Quartz can be created in a large, uniform slab so that you do not have to put unsightly seams into your kitchen design plan. Again, the minimal seams coupled with the nonporous nature of quartz makes it very hygienic.
Corian is a brand of solid surface countertops. Like Band-Aid or Q-Tips, the brand names are often used to refer to general items instead of the brand itself. And so too, Corian is used to refer to manufactured solid slab countertops in general.
Corian is created by joining acrylic polymer with alumina trihydrate. About 30 percent of a Corian slab is made up of binding materials while the other 60-70 percent is composed of minerals. As with quartz, pigments are added to the slab to achieve a solid, consistent color.
Corian counters are not as heat resistant as quartz. So, bear that in mind while cooking. Be mindful to utilize trivets and towels to create a buffer between hot pans and your counter.
Corian is easy to repair. Although it may not be as scratch resistant as quartz, any scratches that do appear can be easily sanded and filled.
Corian is easy to maintain as it does not require regular sealings to preserve the look.
At the end of the day, both materials are comparable. Which one is right for you just depends on what qualities you value most in a kitchen countertop.
If you choose to go with quartz or any other type of natural stone, Stone Restoration Works would love to be a part of your maintenance team. We can clean, seal, and repair any natural stone!
By Stone Restoration Works 8-1-2022